Thursday, March 9, 2017

US generic flag for 1812

Well - I found that it is quite hard to find suitable sources for the different line regiment flags of the US Army of 1812-14. Or maybe I'm just not looking in the right corner of the web? I bought a set of the new Strelets British marching infantry because I like Strelets figures, I wanted to make some paint conversions for the war of 1812 theatre and I wasn't able to get some HaT British. The set contains a flagbearer with a blank flag. Cutting it off in order to replace it with a printed flage would have looked silly because of the flagpole's thickness.

So after not being able to find the original flags for the 16th regiment of the line, I decided to get along with a very generic flag. Maybe you guys could tell me if that's alright or if it is problematic for a reason? Who knows how the regimental colours have looked like? Is there any good source on the web? I'm happy for every help!

3 comments:

  1. They appear to be very generic, the only Variation (and not that much ) being the number and positioning of the stars over the eagle.
    http://www.flagsofwar.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=66_81_118&product_id=891
    http://www.warflag.com/napflags/flaghtml/usa.htm
    The scroll..I haven´t seen one with a Lorbeerkranz in the middle (?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This guy (it´s in French ) reckons US 1812 flags are difficult as they don´t exist anymore..(oh..and he has one with the Lorbeerkranz (my bad) scroll design
      http://history-uniforms.over-blog.com/article-drapeaux-de-l-us-army-en-1812-93199462.html

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Paul. As far as I have seen, there's not even a book that lists those flags. Strange thing, if you compare that to European armies which documented their colours well back into the 17th century, a thing that US troops seemed to lack back in those days.

    ReplyDelete